Accreditation / professional bodies
- I am accredited as a therapist with the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
- I am on the BACP Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapists
- I am committed to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- I hold Professional Liability insurance
Main counselling qualifications
- Diploma in Counselling Studies (Distinction) University of Wales 1993
- MSc in Counselling (Supervision & Training) (Commendation), University of Bristol 2001
- Doctor of Education (Narrative & Life Story Research) University of Bristol 2013
I have also undertaken a wide variety of shorter courses over the years, including solution focused brief therapy training, CBT for depression, Gestalt and 60 hours of mindfulness training (MBSR & MBCT level 1 & level 2), and Emotion Focused Psychotherapy (level 1 Training – 26 hours).Nicabm – Adv Master Programme on Treatment of Trauma (10 hours). Pesi – Treating Complex Trauma: A comprehensive approach to accurately assessing & effectively treating clients with repeated and developmental trauma (12 hours).
Before training as a counsellor, I was a social worker, working with young people in care. I have worked as a counsellor since 1992: in the voluntary sector, in private practice and as a primary care counsellor for twelve years in three different GP practices, and in a counselling research clinic.
Between 1994 and 2018 I was a Senior Lecturer in Counselling at the University South Wales (formerly University of Wales Newport), teaching counselling and consultative supervision to Masters level. I was the course leader for PG Diploma Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy between 2010 and 2018.